Do Natural Amenities Promote Growth? Evidence from Surf Breaks with McGregor, T., OxCarre Working Paper No. 170, University of Oxford (Ideas; slides May 2016)
- Impact: Submitted as evidence to a New Zealand court by the Surfbreak Protection Society in a case to protect the Mangamaunu surf break, which was ultimately successful.
- Media: Bloomberg (US) (also Yahoo Finance); Bloomberg podcast; The Financial Times; The Economist; BBC World (Spanish); Fox News; Australian Financial Review (pdf); ABC News; ABC Online (radio); Travel + Leisure; Hawaii Public Radio; Gold Coast Bulletin; Daily Telegraph; NT News; Gizmodo; The Inertia; The West Australian; Phys.org; Business Insider; The University of Sydney; Chris Blattman’s Blog; NPR Planet Money (Twitter); The Change Agenda (Youtube); Stab Magazine; Surfline; The Wave; Surfing Life; Ocean Living Lab (French); Tiempo (Spanish); BankingNews (Greek); Travel + Leisure; L’Economiste (French); Handelsblatt Global; New Zealand Geographic
Optimal Monetary Responses to News of an Oil Discovery OxCarre Working Paper No. 121, University of Oxford
Integrating Financial and Demographic Longevity Risk Models: A Model for Financial Applications with Sherris, M., UNSW Working paper
- Awarded Best Paper Prize at 18th International Actuarial Approach for Financial Risks (AFIR) Colloquium, Rome 2008
- Awarded the 2018 Ralph C. d’Arge and Allen V. Kneese Award for the best paper in the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Media: Today Program, BBC Radio 4 (permanent link); The Atlantic; Canadian Broadcasting Corporation – interviewed on 24 radio stations (16/08/2016); Phys.org; Hindustan Times; Manila Times; University of Oxford; University of Sydney; VoxEU
 Leave the Volatility Fund Alone: Principles for Managing Oil Wealth (2018), Journal of Macroeconomics, 55:332-352 (final working paper; first version)
- Impact: This research underpinned policy advice I provided to the IGC/Government of Ghana and the World Bank on Uganda, Iraq and Libya
 The rebuilding macroeconomic theory project: an analytical assessment (2018) with Vines, D., Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 34(1-2):1-42 (working paper)
- Impact: David Vines and I co-organised this project bringing together 18 leading macroeconomists to discuss how theory should respond to the 2008 crisis. Published as a special double issue with contributions by O. Blanchard, S. Wren-Lewis, J. Stiglitz, R. Wright, R. Reis, P. Krugman, W. Carlin and D. Soskice, F. Ghironi, A. Haldane and A. Turrell, J. Linde, D. Hendry and J. Muellbauer, W. McKibbin and A. Stoeckel. (Promotional material)
- Media: Financial Times (i) (pdf); Financial Times (ii) (pdf); Financial Times (iii) (pdf); Financial Times (iv) (pdf); Financial Times (v); Financial Times (vi) (pdf); The Australian Financial Review; Central Banking; Tony Blair Institute; El Cronista; Il Sole 24 Ore; Folha de Sao Paulo; El Financiero; Quartz; Morgenbladet; La nouvel Economist
 The financial system and the natural real interest rate: towards a ‘new benchmark theory model’ (2018) with Vines, D., Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 34(1-2):252-268 (working paper)
 The Elephant in the Ground: Managing Oil and Sovereign Wealth (2016) with van den Bremer, T. and van der Ploeg, R., European Economic Review, 82:113-131 (pdf)
- Impact: We presented our findings to Norway’s Ministry of Finance, who set the remit for the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund. Norway has decided to increase their equity mix, reduce their spending rule, and divest stocks most exposed to the oil price, in line with the recommendations of our paper (section 6), which is cited in the following report (pdf, in Norwegian). Financial Times; Press release; VoxEU; Financial Times; Press release; Financial Times.
- Media: VoxEU (10/10/2014); Financial Times (07/03/2014); Stroock Public Forum (from 1hr 20min, 24/08/2016); Wyoming PBS Interview (26/08/2016)
 Resource Funds: Stabilizing Parking and Intergenerational Transfer (2016) with Venables, T., Journal of African Economies, 25 (Supp 2): ii20–ii40 (working paper)
 Sovereign Wealth Funds and Natural Resource Management in Africa (2016) with Senbet, L., and Simbanegavi, W., Journal of African Economies, 25 (Supp 2): ii3-ii19
 An Empirical Sectoral Model of Unconventional Monetary Policy: The Impact of QE (2015) with Cloyne, J., Thomas, R., and Tuckett, A. The Manchester School, Vol 83: 51-82 (pdf)
- Impact: This model is now part of the Bank of England’s “suite” used to inform Monetary Policy Committee decisions.
 Securitization, structuring and pricing of longevity risk (2010) with Sherris, M. Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Vol 46(1): 173-185 (pdf)
- Impact: >100 citations. Nominated for the H M Jackson Prize of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia, for the top paper by an Australian actuary. This contributed to the creation of a new market in “longevity bonds” (e.g. Swiss Re’s 2010 $50m Kortis Bond). Written while I was an undergraduate.
 Financial Innovation and the Hedging of Longevity Risk (2008) with Sherris, M., Asia Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol 3(1): 1-14